A CLEAR MISSION:
Create homes with a local and renewable resource: trees. The Scandinavian log home, where each log is hand carved, ensures a high quality structure both from an aesthetic standpoint and an energy efficiency standpoint. This is the Harkins mission.
The homes are unique, designed taking into account the land in order to maximize orientation towards the sun, take advantage of its rays, increase the space’s potential and ergonomics, and distinguish them from others.
The log homes constructed by the artisans at Harkins are tailored to a niche market. Our primary clientèle is made up of wood lovers who want to pair the rustic quality of the wood with elegant touches to create a unique ambiance that brings the two together.
Some may be surprised to learn that there is no exhaustive catalogue of Harkins model homes to look at. However, we do have three architecture plans available online that serve as a great starting point for dreaming up the rest. There are photos, of homes to admire, and our designers’ heads are full of ideas to help transform your dreams and needs into a precise reality.
WHAT HARKINS DOESN’T OFFER:
What you won’t have when working with Harkins, is:
- A house like the neighbours’
- A product devoid of personality
- A limited number of choices
- Unreasonable fees for changes to the base model, since you design your own product
- An impersonal experience
STEP BY STEP FOR A SUCCESSFUL OUTCOME :
Your project’s steps will look like this:
1. Research and identification of your needs.
Here are some questions to ask yourself :
- Do you have a lot in mind? Prepare details on the lot.
- How do you imagine this project? Is this a chalet, your primary residence, a space for a small family or a large gathering, a retirement project?
- How many rooms? How many full baths? How many water closets? Do you need designated space for guests?
- What is your total budget for this project?
- Will you be the project manager, or do you want a general contractor to take charge for a turn key experience?
- What are your must-haves and your maybes?
- Will you be taking on this project alone? If not, discuss these points with your partner!
2. First contact with the team and appointment booking
- Don’t forget to send them your information ahead of the meeting so that they can prepare.
3. Meet with a round wood specialist
- During this first meeting, you’ll learn about the Scandinavian technique used by the company.
- You’ll have the chance to look at photos of past projects and take note of what stands out to you, what is essential and what is a “nice to have.”
- You’ll discuss the process for the elaboration of the plans and the different costs to expect (approximative at this step) for a major project like this.
- You’ll receive a document outlining what Harkins can do for you and the costs to expect.
4. Prepare the plans
- The architecture team at Harkins will prepare the plans based on the parameters discussed and your budget. You can also submit plans prepared by the architecture firm of your choosing. In such cases, the plan may need to be reworked by Harkins.
- You can then make any adjustments necessary and work with Harkins, and the various teams or your contractor, on the crucial budgeting step.
5. Accept the budget and confirm the project
- Once your plan and budget are accepted, the project will be confirmed and placed on the production list. Demand has increased over the last few months, so anticipate delays because of this.
6. Production and delivery
- When the time comes, your project is put in production. The wood structures are prepared on our worksite in St-Faustin-Lac-Carré. The logs are labeled, disassembled and transported to the erection site (more details can be found here – link to come)
- The shell will be placed onto a pre-poured foundation, conceived with the Harkins plans.
- The installation of the doors and windows, the roof, and all the interior finishes can finally begin!
A HOME THAT LOOKS LIKE YOU!
When the project is completed, you’ll have a unique home that fits you and your needs exactly. Thanks to their technical innovation, and the research and development of refined methods, Harkins artisans can proudly offer exceptional log cabins or secondary homes that would make anyone jealous.